Best Augmented Reality Mobile Apps for the Self-Isolating Gamer
Stuck at home? Yea we feel ya… But staying indoors can be a great opportunity for you to try out some AR mobile games that you always wanted to play (but never had the time)!
We compiled a list of some exciting (and nostalgic) AR apps that you can try for FREE now. If you are looking for a new game to download, consider picking any of these games for a new and immersive gaming experience!
1. Pokémon Go Quite possibly the biggest game that got people to start talking and realizing the power of AR. With over 1 billion downloads and constant updates, Pokémon Go is the best AR game of the year and possibly of all time. Its developer, Niantic, rolled out several new features to the game so to limit the need to roam outside during the COVID-19 epidemic (including a new form of gameplay called GO Battle League and Remote Raids).
2. Ingress Prime Ingress Prime is a geolocation adventure game in which players use their mobile device GPS to locate and interact with different “portals” which are in proximity to the player’s real-world location and tied to places of cultural significance — such as public art installations, landmarks, and monuments. Niantic, its developer, added several “behind closed doors” improvements to the game due to the COVID-19 crisis.
Scan this QR code with your phone to see something awesome!
or go directly to https://go.echoar.xyz/JVrT with your phone browser.
Sign up to the echoAR platform for free to create this yourself!
3. Zombies, Run! Get ready for the run of your life! This zombie apocalypse-themed app became the highest-grossing Health & Fitness app on Apple’s App Store within two weeks of its initial release. This immersive running game has special “virtual race” events that includes in-game augmented reality experiences. Six to Start, the developer team behind the app, are releasing new “Home Front” missions every week for self-isolating zombie warriors.
4. ARrrrrgh A classic hide and seek game that transforms players into modern day pirates! Paired with a parrot that assists players along their journey and a treasure map that leads them to glory. Players can break open their living room floor and hide treasure, then watch their pirate companions adventure through the house seeking the gold that awaits! An exciting adventure for kids to play with their parents or friends!
5. Harry Potter: Wizards Unite From the makers of Pokémon GO, this real-world AR game is based on the much-acclaimed Harry Potter series and allows players to take on the role of wizards who can cast spells, discover mysterious artifacts, and encounter iconic characters from the Harry Potter universe. For players stuck indoors, the Wizards Unite team created a new feature based of the in-universe “Knight Bus” which allows players to enjoy magical dueling challenges without the need to step outside.
Looking for more inspiration for innovative uses of AR? Check out the Inspiration page on our console. It contains links to great use cases of AR and examples of incredible projects, some of which have been created with the help of echoAR. Want your project to be featured too? Let us know at inspire@echoAR.xyz.
6. Knightfall AR Knightfall AR is an action adventure app that can be played from virtually anywhere (pun intended!). Create battlefields in your living room and kitchen with the power of AR and help your fellow Knights Templar defend the city of Acre from invading armies.
7. SwiftShot Who remembers the joy and hours spent on Angry Birds? Apple created an AR multiplayer slingshot game using ARKit, SceneKit, and Swift that can be played on the kitchen table without making a mess.
Download: here for iOS.
8. Jenga AR The beloved childhood game is now available in AR! Same old game but a completely new experience.
Download: Google Play
9. Stack AR Time to test your reflexes and stacking abilities! Try out Stack AR and see how many blocks can you stack.
Download: Apple App Store
10. Catan: World Explorers Niantic is currently developing an augmented reality mobile game based on the highly successful board game “Settlers of Catan”. Like in prior AR games by Niantic (such as Pokémon Go and Ingress Prime listed above), this game will be centered around real-world landmarks, where players compete to earn “victory points.”
Download: TBA. Pre-register here.
Did we miss any of your favorites? Let us know on our Slack channel.
echoAR (http://www.echoAR.xyz; Techstars ’19) is a cloud platform for augmented reality (AR) and virtual reality (VR) that provides tools and server-side infrastructure to help developers & companies quickly build and deploy AR/VR apps and experiences.